Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Taking on a new philosophy

I'm trying to bring in a whole new mind set. Yes it does go in hand with weight loss, but I'm also trying to make positive changes in other parts of my life... how this will work out- I'm not sure, but I will never know if I don't try.

1. Knowledge is power.
 I refuse to let the unknown have control over me anymore. Even if I find out something bad/get bad news- I'm going to be trying my hardest to embrace it. This is actually something that I've been trying to do for a while-  since the day I was told that the "growth" on my calf was in fact cancerous. As scary as being told I had cancer was, I can't help but think how much worse it could have been if I did not know. If I didn't know- then it would still be growing, could have spread and I wouldn't be sitting here cancer free.

2. Acceptance.
 This goes with the first point... I need to accept the challenges that are put in front of me. I need to accept by abilities and my limitations. By doing this, I figure that I will be able to work out the best way to deal with any situation to the best of my abilities.
As long as I know I have done my best, then there is nothing else I can do. No point in stressing myself out by second guessing what I could have done. When I make a mistake, then I need to accept it, and move on. I read on the weight watchers forum a quote that was something like :  "It's not what you have done that matters, but what you do next". So even if I do make a mistake, then nothing can change that- what's done is done.

3. Smile.
Simple thing to do, and can make such a huge difference- not only to yourself, but those around you. Even if I don't feel like smiling- I'm going to make myself... fake it until you make it.
I see it all the time at work- the benefits of a smile... if I smile, people around me smile, which then makes me want to smile more. I'm not talking about doing the cheesy forced smile, smiling is done with more than your lips... your eyes, and the way you hold your shoulders all can portray a smile.
I have a history with depression, and one of the girls I work with is an absolute god-send... everytime she would see me heading towards a dark place she would literally do this silly little dance and make me do it too- do you know how hard it is to be sad/miserable when you are doing a stupid little dance?

So that's my plan... that's what I am going to try and implement in my life... and let's hope I can follow through with it- especially tomorrow morning with my post-Easter weigh-in, a week which has seen hot cross buns, chocolate, takeaway and not enough water.

Bella

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Bella. Have you tried keeping a Grateful Journal?? A journal where, each night before you go to bed, you write down 5 things that you are grateful for. They can be as small as: Getting your washing in before the rain, or whatever. It's an extremely powerful exercise that can create real magic. It might take you a while to get into the habit, and given time (it took me over a year) your whole outlook on life will change. Let me know if you wanna know more, or the technicalities of how it works... I'll give you my phone number. In fact, maybe I should write a blog on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you should definitely do a blog on it, I'm sure I am not the only one who would be interested in it, or who would benefit from it.
    Each day I am more convinced that losing weight is about so much more than getting smaller numbers on the scales and clothes tags.

    Bella

    ReplyDelete