Monday, June 21, 2010

4 days and counting...

Today was my 4th day in a row of going to the gym. :)
I knew that I had to see a client before I went to the gym, and I also knew that if I came home to get ready I would be less inclined to go back out (cold and miserable day here). So I packed my gym clothes and shoes into my bag this morning before I left the house. Even when I realised I had forgotten to pack a pair of socks I refused to let the temptation of going home get to me so I called into a supermarket and picked up a pair of socks on my way to the gym.
So I got to the gym and I was the only one in the cardio room (sweet- no one standing behind me seeing my big butt wobble) and after my 15 minute warm up (@5 kph) [program says a 10 minute workout at 4kph- but I can comfortably do the 5kph- so why not?] I headed up to the weights room. There was only one guy in there and by the time I had gotten halfway through my first rotation he left. So I was able to grunt my way through an extra set of crunches (why why do I do it to myself...lol... oh that's right... I want abs that are firm not this current pillow that's shoved under my skin.) Then it was back onto the treadmill for another 15 minutes- this time @ 4kph [program says 10 mins @3.5] I checked with one of the trainers as I was leaving about adding the extra time and speed on the treadmill and he said it was fine as long as I didn't push myself too far.
When it came time for my second go on the treadmill today I didn't really feel like doing it- but I just set it to beep every minute, and I closed my eyes (kept hands resting on side bars for balance) and pictured myself being fit and healthy and actually running LMAO @ the idea of me running... anyway I did that and before I knew it my 15 minutes was up and the treadmill was in cool down mode and slowing down.

I think I like going to the gym when there is no one else around :)

I have a little external motivator... if I go to the gym every day for a month I get to reward myself with either a massage or a go in the floatation tank. I'm thinking the floatation tank :)

Flotation therapy is essentially a process of placing the body into a state of total relaxation. This usually occurs in a specially constructed bath. The water has salts and minerals dissolved into the bath to enable the body to float. There are close similarities between this form of therapy and eastern techniques of meditation. Floatation therapy is really based on a single important principle. While we are active in the ordinary world, we experience stress and conflict that is incorporated into our daily routines and habitual patterns of activity. These habitual patterns often become locked into neurotic and energy depriving actions. Some people smoke, or drink to cope with this " normal" situation of anxiety and stress.
The flotation tank is a therapeutic area that breaks these habitual responses and reactions, and allows the mind and body to regenerate their natural energy without interference from the patterns of the outside world.
 I think it sounds pretty cool- and there is one at the gym, so I can go after my workout when I've reached my one month mark.
Oh and I am loving my gym shoes- they are so comfortable... normally I hate shoes, but this time I went and got fitted properly and spent some money on decent shoes and now I hate taking them off (looks down- yep still have them on :) )

Anyway I do need to get out of them and go and have a shower and get the evening started... gym again tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. I understand completely. I'm very glad that there is a small gym downstairs at our apartment, and I'm usually in it alone. A man came in recently and asked if I'd mind if he used the treadmill while I was on the crosstrainer. I smiled, said "Yes sure!" but I scurried out pretty quickly. He was young, fit and gorgeous - I didn't want him to think I was panting over him!!!
    The difference in your body will be amazing after one month. You are doing yourself a huge favour. Well done!

    ReplyDelete