Friday, February 26, 2010

What are you passionate about? What makes you smile?

I've been thinking a lot about what makes me happy lately... I guess the bad mood from earlier in the week made me look to within for something good.

I've got a few things that I'm passionate about... obviously the top of the list is my family.

I really got lucky 10 and a bit years ago when I met my husband- he never once hesitated in taking on me and my 2 children, never once begrudged them anything. He has supported me in everything I have ever wanted to do- be it the psychology/sociology degree that never got finished, the tafe courses (that did get finished), the numerous attempts at losing weight or the starting of my own business. I still find him incredibly attractive, and much to the "horror" of my children and the young girls I work alongside of in the salon- I am deeply in love with him and love him more each day. I know that sounds so corny.... I'll be the first to admit that it hasn't always been easy- and there are times when I am sure we could almost strangle each other- but when it comes down to it- I simply don't want to be without him. I am determined to make my marriage be one that my children can be proud of, that I can be proud of... that in 50 years time we can be one of those cute old couples that still hold hands walking down the street- ok so maybe by then it will be so we don't fall over, but hey at least he'll still be there beside me :)
My children... my sweet, loving, and often pain in the butt children. Each of them amazing me in different ways- and even though I wish they would clean their rooms without all the angst, I wouldn't want to be in this world without them. I have never felt exceptionally maternal and growing up, kids were never in my plans. I constantly worry that I'm not good enough for them, that I'm doing something wrong- but have been told that I wouldn't be a mum unless I did think like that...lol There is something reassuring and somewhat life affirming about watching your child grow, discover new things and sleep (especially sleep at the end of a long day...lol) I love listening them or watching them play together when they don't know I am. I love how my eldest sticks up for his sister even though he tells you she is the most annoying person ever, or how my daughter likes to make sure everyone is ok (she's like me in that regard) or how my youngest idolises his big brother and sister.

My job- I love my job, I seriously do... I get to make people feel better about themselves... be it by doing their nails, giving them a manicure or a pedicure, doing their makeup or even just being a willing ear to sit and listen to them and ask about their day. I know that sometimes it is nice to have someone who will listen to you. I've shared some important parts of my clients lives- wedding days, school formals, becoming grandparents, becoming parents, new relationships/relationship break downs, illness- all aspects of their lives that they share with me. Yes there are times that I really am not in the mood to hear about so&so's grandson, but my client never knows that, I always ask how they have been. (my client cards have notes about all sorts of things on them- ie upcoming holidays etc that I can look over before they arrive)

Books... I am passionate about books. I love the smell of books, the feel of the pages... the magic of losing myself into another world. I love that my eldest son also shares this passion- we often are reading the same books at the same time.

My friends... I can count on one hand how many true friends I have- and even though I have plenty of "mates" I really only have a couple of true friends. They are the types of friends that you can go weeks or months without seeing but when you get together it is like you've never been apart... that no matter what I am going through (or what they may be going through) we are always there for each other. These couple of friends I would happily give body parts to if they needed them.

Well I guess that is enough rambling from me for today- my man is due home any minute and I want a cuddle :)


oh a quote I heard recently (unfortunately at a funeral) is "Happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want" and it really struck a chord with me, hope it does with you as well :)


Bella

My gorgeous family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment