Monday, February 1, 2010

Trying to avoid emotional eating

Oh man what an afternoon....

My eldest son has just started to high school, and after being bullied throughout primary school he was hoping that it would be a new start. Unfortunately it hasn't been :(
It has been a horrible start to the week, with him being in tears this afternoon saying that he wishes he didn't exist, and that his life is just "too hard" and that he doesn't matter to anyone.
I sat and cried with him, trying to console him, reassure him and convince him that he is in fact important etc.
He has been seeing a psychologist over the Christmas holidays, as there are a few issues that have needed to be addressed - and he had been making some progress... but now it's like all the hard work we have put in has been undone. I feel so helpless that he is hurting and I can't do anything about it. I'm terrified that he will end up in the statistics of male teen suicide :(
It is taking all the will power I have to not try and find comfort in food... to not stuff away my fears and anxieties under a mountain of chocolate. So here I am trying to get everything out and avoid the cupboard...

Here's to avoiding the cupboard and resisting the urge to bail up the kids who like to torment my son and give them a taste of their own medicine.

Bella

3 comments:

  1. I didn't make the comment about suicide lightly either, my youngest brother commited suicide on April 1, 2005. I know how easily depression can sneak up on a person and before they know it, they think they are in darkest place and can see no light, no hope for their future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bella darl'n, I do remember the taunting at high school and I really hope your son's situation improves. Does he have any close friends that are at the same school? Kids and teens are so hard on each other it's enough to make any mum cry. Hang in there it sounds like you are a great support for your son. Btw, well done on your 'healthy eating', it's so hard being a multi-tasking woman and looking after yourself. Well done! oxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gorgeous Georgy :)
    Today was a better day- no tears so that is a good thing.
    I have my weigh-in tomorrow so it shall be interesting to see how that goes.

    Thanks again

    Bella

    ReplyDelete